Monday 25 January 2016

Catch of the Day



It may be snowing on the East Coast of America but I am already dreaming 
of returning there this Summer!

Do you like lobster?  I LOVE it.
Every August, I get to escape to Cape Cod 
and stay with my lovely sister Michelle and her family,
 and every August, my wonderful brother in-law Tom, spoils me with feasts of  lobster. 
We two sit on the back deck with cold beer and drawn butter waiting for the lobsters to 
finish cooking in the enormous lobster pot.
I am a lucky girl - and I know it.

My wonderful, vintage lobster crackers
 purchased at Sandwich Bazaar & Flea Market, Cape Cod, MA 
Michelle and I spend happy hours scouring flea markets and vintage shops
 hunting for treasure.
I always find beautiful vintage aprons and we both love old cookbooks.

A recent find was a book entitled,
 Peter Hunt's Cape Cod Cookbook: 
 A Cape Cod Treasury of favorite recipes illustrated by the author.
 Although his contemporaries say he was a terrible cook, Peter Hunt pulled together a marvelous mélange of recipes from all over Cape Cod for his Cape Cod Cookbook: A Cape Cod Treasury of Favorite Recipes Illustrated by the Author, published by Hawthorn Books Inc. in 1954.

RECIPES FROM THE COOKBOOK:
     Lobsters
     Real Cape Codders are interested in lobster only two ways- boiled or broiled.

     Boiled
     Personally, I think a boiled lobster retains the subtle taste of the sea best. And it's no chore at all to drop the lobster into a pan in which there is an inch or two of boiling water. Cover, and let it boil rapidly until it turns a brilliant red all over.  Usually 15 to 20 minutes is enough but, of course, it all depends on the size of the lobster.
      I prefer them about 1 1/2 pounds.  They are more succulent and tender this size.  Split down the middle, crack the large claws and serve with drawn butter.

     Broiled
     Split alive and remove the "craw sac" that is just in back of the head and the dark intestinal canal that runs through the body.  Pack with bread crumbs and lumps of butter, and broil - preferably over charcoal - for about 20 minutes.  Decorate with parsley and serve with drawn butter and quartered lemons.
Illustration from the book by American folk artist  Peter Hunt (1896 - 1976)
For more information visit,  Peter Hunt &   Peasant Village 

Catch of the Day  apron See this and all our aprons  at our  ETSY shop - Frome River Studios.



No comments:

Post a Comment